Looking Back on NCAA Predictions; Looking Ahead: Men's Recruiting Class Rankings


    It's been another long, ugly travel day, with the convergence of thunderstorms and the subsequent power outage with holiday weekend travelers making the Tulsa airport a very chaotic place this morning. One of my fellow travelers (one of the few good-natured ones) didn't care for that adjective. "That implies movement," he said, viewing the static check-in and security lines. "Doesn't seem to be much of that." We settled on "directionless" and tried to be optimistic.

    Anyway, I'm back in Kalamazoo, and it's time to look back on the predictions some of you made for the NCAAs. Two of zootennis's most frequent and insightful commenters, Andrew D and Austin (anyone else disappointed Man in the Moon didn't join in the contest?) distinguished themselves, with Austin correctly forecasting the men's doubles winners, the women's team champions and the men's singles. He also placed Georgia in the men's final. Andrew D got the men's singles right (as did Scott, Virginia, Bruddahc, and me [my only correct pick]) but gets all sorts of extra credit for tabbing JP Smith to go deep. Many people have asked if I know who Austin is. I do not, but I certainly appreciate his acumen and hope he continues to post in the same passionate and civilized manner as he's done for the past several years.

    Picking the Kalamazoo winners is the next scheduled contest. If all the eligible contenders play, it will be an outstanding field; every time I think I've tabbed all possible winners, someone else springs to mind. And, as a reminder for those who think that picking the top seeds is somehow unworthy, last year only one person had both the 16s and 18s winners, who were, in fact, both No. 1 seeds. This year we'll have the tiebreaker be the dark horse who goes farthest, defining dark horse as someone not among the top eight seeds.

    The Tennis Recruiting Network's spring men's recruiting class rankings were released yesterday, and Stanford remains on top, although they were not the unanimous choice. (I was one of the 11 who did put them at No. 1).

    Once I get some rest and finish my assignments from the NCAAs, I'll start working on a slide show from Tulsa.

Post Title

Looking Back on NCAA Predictions; Looking Ahead: Men's Recruiting Class Rankings


Post URL

https://dancing-with-the-stars-2011.blogspot.com/2008/05/looking-back-on-ncaa-predictions.html


Visit dancing-with-the-stars-2011 for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive