Quirk #2--I Got a Little Change in my Pocket

    Just a reminder: A couple of posts ago I explained my Quirk #1--Extreme Body Dysmorphia.

    I thought I would talk about another weird part of me. Once again, I don't really think I am weird or that this is a real quirk. But since my husband and my best friend disagree, I think I might not have the best perspective.

    But I'm not changing.

    It is all about how I handle money. Not all of our money. Just what I call Fun Money or extra money. Like Birthday money. Christmas money. Money from doing weddings. Money from my modeling.

    I do NOT just get a check or cash and deposit it into our account. I like to cash it and place the cash in a designated envelope. If that extra money goes into our account, it is gone. Forever. It's like we never had it.

    Let me explain why. I might get a little money for my birthday in August. And I think I might want to buy a cute pair of shoes. But in August I don't want to buy another pair of flip flops. I am done with flip flops. I might want a pair of fall shoes--animal print flats or even a pair of boots. But it is still over 100 degrees outside. Buy boots? At that time? No. I need to wait a month or two. Maybe I am giving too much detail at this time. (possible quirk #3).

    So if I put that money in my account, come October it's not there. We've spent it on soccer uniforms, school clothes, etc. When I use our debit card, I feel like I am using our budget money for fun things--bonus things.

    BUT if I cash the check, place it in envelope that is labeled shoes and stow it away, then I feel totally ok about buying those shoes in October or November.

    This all makes perfect sense to me.

    At any given time, I have an envelope labeled wedding/hair. I use the money from my weddings to buy my supplies. New curling irons, bobby pins, hair products, new makeup, more bobby pins. And sometimes I use it for my own hair cuts. Or for something I might want. A new fun top. (all girls know what I mean by saying "a fun top")

    I also have an envelope labeled jeans. This is kind of a joke now. I want a pair of nice, designer jeans. I can't really justify spending that much money. But if I save a little here an there, then it doesn't seem like such a large purchase. But the problem is that I can't seem to pull the trigger. Gaining and losing weight back and forth for a few years doesn't help the situation. I never know what size to get. Anyway, I still have that envelope. Every once in a while I take about $30 out to get a cheap pair of jeans. Then I replenish it. Maybe one day I will go buy that nice pair of jeans.

    See how when I explain it, it sounds perfectly normal?

    I like my envelope system. It works for me.


Post Title

Quirk #2--I Got a Little Change in my Pocket


Post URL

https://dancing-with-the-stars-2011.blogspot.com/2010/04/quirk-2-i-got-little-change-in-my.html


Visit dancing-with-the-stars-2011 for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive